SSAT Reading Question 244: Answer and Explanation
4. Thomas Jefferson's State of the Union address differed from Washington's address in that Jefferson
- A. spoke first to the Senate and then to the House of Representatives
- B. presented more frequent messages than did Washington
- C. broadcast his message on radio
- D. did not deliver his address in person
Correct Answer: D
D is correct. Thomas Jefferson thought Washington’s oral presentation was "too monarchial for the new republic," so Jefferson "wrote out his address and sent it to Congress to be read by a clerk."