SSAT Reading Question 212: Answer and Explanation
1. This passage can best be characterized as
- A. an amusing story about a high school escapade
- B. a fond remembrance of the narrator's youth
- C. a penetrating examination of a young man's character
- D. a polite appeal for forgiveness
Correct Answer: C
C is correct. The entire passage focuses on Paul’s attitude and his demeanor. The red carnation in his buttonhole, the fact that he "was quite accustomed to lying," the contempt he shows for his teachers, all are evidence of the author’s penetrating look at the character of the young man in question.