SSAT Reading Question 211: Answer and Explanation
6. By calling the landscape "a gray wasteland" (line 41), the author implies that
- A. the landscape was covered with a blanket of dirty snow
- B. the landscape was littered with garbage and other waste matter
- C. the trees were all covered with gray ash
- D. the sun could not penetrate the forest
Correct Answer: E
E is correct. A wasteland is barren land with no vegetation. The author mentions in lines 23-32 that the landslides flattened the forest and concrete-like mudflows scoured river valleys surrounding the mountain. Choice A is wrong because the landscape was covered in volcanic ash, not snow. Choice B is wrong because a wasteland is barren, not covered in waste matter. Choice C is wrong because the trees had been flattened and swept away. Choice D is wrong because the forest was no longer standing.