SSAT Reading Question 206: Answer and Explanation
1. The primary purpose of this passage is to
- A. offer general information about volcanoes
- B. describe a specific volcanic eruption
- C. offer specific advice about what to do when a volcano erupts
- D. provide historical background about volcanoes
Correct Answer: B
B is correct. The entire passage discusses the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens. The information provided is specific to a particular volcano, so choices A and D are incorrect. The passage does not tell readers what to do when a volcano erupts, nor does it appeal for action to protect the environment, so choices C and E are wrong.