SSAT Reading Question 178: Answer and Explanation
1. The main purpose of this passage is to
- A. explain why carrots can be various colors
- B. point out the health benefits of carotenoids
- C. report on enhancements to the nutritional value of carrots
- D. explore ways to increase carrot production
Correct Answer: C
C is correct. The purpose of this passage is to report on the work done by scientists to breed carrots with enhanced nutritional value. The researchers have selectively bred carrots in a rainbow of colors and studied the effects of the various plant pigments on the human body.